The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Who's the Boss?

Nope, this isn't about who's in charge in this home. I think we all know the Missaroo wins hands down.

Growing up as a kid, I don't know there were a whole lot of things my brother and I loved more than watching television. Whether it was cartoons in the wee hours of the morning, game shows in the afternoon, or comedies at night, we loved and watched it all. We each have our favorites, his: Speed Racer, Transformers; mine: Mary Tyler Moore, The Cosby Show ((I really, really wanted to be a Cosby kid))and ours: Quantum Leap, the Commish. And these are really just a few.

But recently, I have re-discovered one of my all time favorites, Who's the Boss? It's on for a couple of hours everyday on the Hallmark channel and there I sit laughing out loud at the antics of Tony and Angela. And then the other day it occurred to me, this is where the idea for my life came from.

My whole life I have pictured myself with a career and a kid. There are no real go-it-alone career women in my family. Sure I have some unbelievably great women role models ((my mom of course)) but no one that's been too focused on her career to have a man. Turns out I got the idea from Angela Bower. She was president of one of the world's largest ad firms. And that was in 1984! What a concept. I ran the idea by my mom and she said, "yeah her or Mary Tyler Moore." Hmm... another personal favorite of mine. Uh, she was a news producer after all.

TV I think was always a comfort. I've found it easier to laugh and cry with someone else than to do it about my own life. Don't get me wrong, my brother and I had a great childhood but just like any kids it was sometimes nice to escape, if only for a half an hour at a time. And just think, would I even know how to live this life without the help of Angela and Tony? If nothing else it gives me hope that someone, someday will fall for this quirky, straight laced career gal just like it happened on Who's the Boss?

No comments:

Post a Comment