The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Back to Basics

Missaroo and I moved to Spokane eight months ago today. I can't believe it. This time last year I didn't think I would still be working in the business. We are loving life in Spokane and liking mom's new gig a lot better than the last one. To kind of build on the last blog, Missy has come a long way since our two and a half month hiatus of unemployment and constant moving. Things are starting to click for her again but more importantly, I've gone back to the basics with her when it comes to training.


Sometimes I get so ticked at Miss that it's hard to turn around and remember to praise her when she's not doing something wrong. But as soon as I remember this small training tip, she instantly improves. Here's an example.... I've mentioned the cat that lives next door. Missy likes to jump up by the window and say hello. She gets a stern "MISSY" when this happens but when she doesn't do that she wasn't getting a good girl. She is now and you know? No more jumping! That simple. Now every time she is on the landing by our door it's "Good girl Missaroo." Every time she stops barking at another dog, "Good girl" and when she does start to bark it's back to "Watch me's" and not letting her focus on anything else but my face, and you know what? She's a tad bit less annoying. Does she still bark? Yes. Does she still try to play with cats? Yes. But there is improvement. The consistency is back.

So what's the lesson in all this? No more lazy mom. I've been too passive with her. I blamed the move, well the move is done. A little more mom and a little less buddy will be in play for the next eight months. The Missaroo deserves it. It's all about getting back to basics, for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment