The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Stranger Danger

Missy is a sucker for a treat, we all know that. But is it ok to let her have treats from people we don't know? The question never popped into my head until today.

We were on our walk through the neighborhood behind our apartment just strolling along. We ran into those people who chemically treat the lawns, you know who I'm talking about. One of the workers almost went right up to Missy to say hello. Of course Missy said hello back and licked her in the face. It took me off guard a little bit, mostly because I had my ipod in. I didn't really think too much of it. She told me what a beautiful dog I had and gave Miss a pet. I thanked her and tried to get Miss off of her. Then she asked Miss, "would you like a treat?" AND PULLED ONE FROM HER POCKET! Super random. Missy carried it for a little while but kept dropping it so I picked it up and carried it with me.

While we were walking home I thought, "I wouldn't let Missy have this treat if she were a kid." Now, this is probably another over the top panic dog mom moment but really, doesn't that seem a little odd to you? Should I really let Missy have this treat? It looked fine. Just an ordinary dog treat. But remember that someone was trying to poison dogs on the South Hill just a few months ago? I'm not taking any chances. I'm throwing the treat out.

But there must be different rules when it comes to kids and dogs? But is that ok? That woman would have never approached my kid the way she approached Missy. She didn't ask if  she could give her the treat or even if she could pet her. I think maybe people should be more cautious around dogs the way they would be around kids. ASK me if you can pet her. Then I'm prepared and the answer is more than likely yes. ASK me if it's ok she has the treat. You can still be friendly to my dog without over stepping your bounds. Even dog moms fear stranger danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment