The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Life Without the Missaroo

WARNING: Our little funny blog, gets sad and serious.

Last night as I threw Missaroo's bone out from underneath my pillow and I watch her "re-burry" it under a blanket before she circled down into bed, I thought, the day I don't have her anymore will be the worst day of my life. Since I'm pretty sure no one who lives in Spokane reads my blog, let me fill you in on some background. Recently, about five dogs have died here on the South Hill just blocks from where we live. Vets have found meatballs laced with strychnine in yards. The dogs, in their own yards, ate them, went into seizures, and died. If something tragic like that ever happened to the Missaroo I wouldn't be able to handle it. It also made me realize there is a very good chance I will out live her. When I first got Miss, I thought, wow this dog is going to be with me for the next 10 years or so. She could see me though a few more moves, marriage, kids, and who knows what else. That's quite a commitment I thought for a 23 year old to take on. A year later I think, Wow only 10 years with the Missaroo! How Sad!


Then I thought about the flip side of all this. What if I died before the Missaroo? What if something tragic happened to me? I honestly laid in bed last night and cried about it. Not because I thought about my own death, but I thought, What if I died outside the apartment one day while Missaroo was in her crate. Would she know that I hadn't just abandoned her? How long would she be in there helpless before someone came to take care of her? And who would take care of her for the rest of her life? The saddest part is I don't know the answer to the last one. Maybe my family in the Tri-Cities would take her. I sure hope so.

It's starting to make me cry all over again. Right now the Missaroo is sleeping on the bed, still very tired from two days of daycare. I can't wait to take her for a walk when it warms up today and enjoy the time I have with her. I'll try not to think anymore about life without the Missaroo.

1 comment:

  1. The last answer: Aunt MOH would take the Missaroo. And don't feel weird; I've had the same thoughts as well.

    ReplyDelete