The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Monday, February 22, 2010

Avoiding an Itchy, Itchy Fate

If there was any doubt left in your minds that I love my dog more than most, this latest blog should be the final straw. I am allergic to Missy. What!?! You might be asking yourself right now. That is the usual response I get when I tell people that I am allergic to dogs, but yes it is very much true. This actually explains a lot. Missy gets groomed every 6 weeks. Her latest appointment came today. She has to get bathed regularly with a special shampoo that helps eliminate most of her shedding. As you can tell by the pictures, Missy also spends a lot of time in my bed. This means the sheets and comforter are also washed every week. I have to vacuum every week too. Just about every other blanket in the apartment is also washed on a regular basis as well. And still sometimes when her fur comes into direct contact with my skin I get itchy. I scratch, and I scratch, and I scratch. The other day at work I scratched my chest so much it hurt for the next couple of days. I usually put Missy into her crate right before I leave for work after I'm all bundled up. But on Thursday, I didn't have my coat buttoned and I had on a v-neck shirt. When I picked her up and carried her into the other room I didn't even think about the fact that she was going to make me itch for the rest of the night, but she did. When all else fails, I take an allergy medicine. When I first got her, she also triggered my asthma. The meds, washing, and getting use to her in general have helped, but it is still a lot of effort everyday just to avoid an itchy, itchy fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment