The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Friday, October 22, 2010

Hate is Just Around the Corner

The folks of Westboro Baptist Church descended on the city of Spokane yesterday. For those of you who don't know, they are the crazies who protest at military funerals because God is punishing us by killing our soldiers because of this country's tolerance of gay people. Uh, yeah, sure. The crazies and the counter protesters came out in full force, or so I'm told. One of the many sites they took over was the high school right down the street from me. Around 2:30 I heard a roar of a crowd and decided to walk to the end of the block to see if there was anything going on.

So Missy and I headed out the door like we normally would for her potty break anyway. At the corner, all I could see was the traffic backup that Westboro was causing. I decided I didn't want to go any closer, although I would have laughed hysterically if Missy would have barked at them. I just didn't need to see the hate right around the corner. And Missy doesn't need to experience hate in her life either. We turned around and went home.

Life is too short to hate. Now, I'm not going to debate about the right and wrong of being gay. And I'm not going to debate the right and wrong of protesting military funerals. The last point I'll let the Supreme Court decided, but as for the first point, well that's up to God. And no matter what I think might constitute a sin, at the end of the day I believe a simple truth found straight out of the Bible, "God is love." It's not my place to judge, even though I guess I am judging the Westboro peeps by calling them crazies. But it is my job to tolerate and love because God says so. He doesn't say love people like you, love people you think aren't sinners. In fact, it's quite the opposite, love sinner and saint alike, He commands. There's no room for hate in my Bible, God, or life. How about yours?

1 comment:

  1. So by being hateful to the other side (the Church), people are still haters in one way or another.. unfortunately.. one side is telling that we should tolerate gays but not that church.. that just contradicts the whole point of tolerance! Isn't tolerance supposed to ignore the extremes.. or in the accept the extremes both equally?

    ReplyDelete