Friday, April 29, 2011


The title pretty much says it all but it feels like so much happened in the last two days I don't even know where to begin, but like I often tell people who say that to me, lets give the beginning a try.

On Wednesday, Mister went in for surgery prep. I took his little red bed with and put it in the backseat of the car so he could ride to the vet's in style.

We were in and out of there fairly quickly. Mister came home with a rockin bandage on his front leg where his pain patch is. It helps to continually give him a low does of meds for a couple of days. He tried to chew it a little, but for the most part he left it alone and so did Missy. We spent the rest of the day laying low and I tried to get to sleep early ahead of the big surgery day.

Surgery day arrived bright and early Thursday morning. At 6:15 we were awake and on the move. I wore my clothes for the gym so I could go straight there after the surgery and packed a book to read while I waited. Mister said goodbye to Miss and we headed out the door. It took me three trips to get everything inside the vet's office before I handed over Mister. I then took my seat and began the wait. It was at that point they told me Mister's surgery had been rescheduled for 1pm. Um????? Seriously? I was angry, confused, and not thinking straight ((my coffee was still in my hand and not in my tummy)) "OK well we're going home then, my entire day is thrown off," I told them. But first we had to make a stop at the grocery store.

Mister wasn't allowed to eat breakfast that morning or have any water. Now I was instructed to go buy him baby food to eat. ((Buying one jar of the cheapest baby food at the store makes for an interesting conversation with the cashier by the way)) Needless to say, the whole ordeal was upsetting for Mister and Missy and neither one of them ate the baby food. It had to be a first. On the positive side, the frustration of the morning made for an awesome workout! I kicked bottom on the elliptical machine.

Then it was time for the real surgery. We hung out in the lobby for about 30 minutes before they came and took him out of my arms. I said goodbye ((again)) to my little buddy and off he went. About half way through, they came out and gave me a progress report and had a question about his medication. 90 minutes after they took him out of my arms the doctor came out to tell me how well little buddy did. They surgery went just as well as it could have. We went over post-op treatment and when he would need to come back.

Ten minutes after the talk with the doctor, I was escorted back to see him. Mister was shaking and his eyes were goopy but he was awake. They placed him in an incubator to warm him up. It was scary, but I was glad I could see him. I even walked by the cage he'd be staying in with his little red bed inside and a note on the door telling them to take his collar off as he slept. Mister was a champ.

So today is the big welcome home event! Well, it's not like I have anything planned, but I'm excited he's coming home. Missy won't be, just because she won't be able to play with him. Expect a post about today's excitement soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment