The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Monday, June 4, 2012

Living the Dream

Today was my first day of interning at Found Chicago. It's an animal shelter who's mission is to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home Chicago's dogs and cats. How awesome is that!?! WAY AWESOME. At the beginning of the year, I set some pretty lofty goals for myself. One was to advance the No Kill movement. What better way than by spending my summer at a premiere rescue shelter in one of the country's largest cities?  I truly am living the dream.

Day one was a lot of dirty work. I spent most of the morning sweeping and mopping floors. I also scooped a lot of poop. But then I got to work with the dogs as well. Most of the dogs were probably chuckling on the inside as they put me through the ringer as I tried to get them in and out of their kennels. I probably had a harder time figuring out how to open the doors than I did with anything else. I learned A LOT. Mostly about how important head control is. These are NOT your ordinary animal shelter dogs. These are dogs with serious issues, not Missaroo issues either. Some have been severely abused. Like so abused they were taken away from their owners by the courts. Again, not your run of the mill dog. This is where Found is truly amazing, or should I say the people behind Found's doors are truly amazing. They give these dogs hope. Real hope and a another shot at a home. With two on-site trainers who work with the dogs every day and caring people wandering the halls at every turn, there is great work being done at Found everyday. I am so blessed to be a part of it. Hopefully, it won't be all poop and dirt for me either. My goal is to learn all the ins and outs of animal sheltering there. Maybe one day the Missaroo, Mister too, and I will be running an awesome animal shelter of our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment