The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Sunday, March 30, 2014

DIY Dogmom

One of my biggest goals is to no longer support companies that conduct animal testing, and by animal testing I’m talking beagles. It sounds like it would be fairly simple to switch until you realize these companies are the same ones that make most of our everyday products. I’ve had to change my shampoo, perfume, toothpaste, lotion, and lots of other essential products. I have completely made the switch in my bathroom now it’s time to tackle my cleaning products.

Buying natural products was my solution for the bathroom, but it costs me a pretty penny. Luckily, I’m a minimalist when it comes to those products so a little bit goes a long way but cleaning is another story. Between two dogs and a foster cat, I end up doing about 8 loads of laundry a week. I also clean everything all the time. Simply buying all natural, more expensive products in this area will cost me more than a pretty penny, it will cost me an arm and a leg. So I've decided to take a different approach, I’m making these products myself.

I decided to start with the easiest, laundry detergent. It’s only a few ingredients: Borax, washing soda, baking soda, and bar soap. The hardest part was grating the bar of soap which really wasn’t hard at all. I actually kind of enjoyed the process and it gave me a new project. I’ve also made my own dish washing detergent, glass cleaner, disinfectant and all-purpose cleaner. I’ve probably spent about $25 for all of the products and there’s still plenty of everything left to make a lot more in the months to come. So not only am I getting rid of harmful chemicals and ending my support of SC Johnson and others who test on animals, I’m also saving money and feeling pretty proud of my domestic self.

Have you ever made your own products? Was it a success? Did you do it for any of the reasons I’ve made the switch? We’d love to hear about any other DIY dogmom or dads out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment