The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Work to do in Milwaukee

We love living in Milwaukee. The dogs and I are super excited to call this city home for the next two years. Knowing us, we probably won't stay any longer than that, but we'll see. What we do know is that Milwaukee has a huge problem: they kill thousands of animals a year. THOUSANDS! In Spokane, 91% of the animals who entered the local animal control shelter made it out alive. At the Humane Society that number was even higher. Here in Milwaukee less than 50% of them make it out alive. That is beyond disgusting and something needs to be done about it. First and foremost, education.

I've started emailing my alderman almost everyday. He's already received about six emails from me since last Monday. I have sent him links to other websites and also a copy of my master's thesis in which I wrote about converting communities into No Kill. I'm also working to become a foster of animals either through the local kill shelter and also through a rescue group. Even if I can only save them one at a time, it's still better than nothing. The dogs and I cannot sit back and let animals die every. single. day. I'm also working on telling EVERYONE about what's going on there. I've already been tweeting and facebooking about the problem, but now I am also taking it to YOU. I know only maybe a handful of you actually live in Milwaukee but EVERYONE can do their part to advance the No Kill movement. If you can't write your lawmaker, volunteer, if you can't volunteer, foster, if you can't foster, donate. DO SOMETHING! There is a lot of work to do here in Milwaukee and it might take me more than two years to make some real changes here but at least I am trying. This is something that I actually lose sleep over.

Secondly, I'm trying to network. There is power in numbers. Milwaukee's situation is soooo bad that even No Kill Nation has started putting the spotlight on this problem. I am working to email local rescues who are also disgusting by the killing and realize pulling one animal out at a time is a start, not an end to this problem. Real changes have to be made at the top. But the good news is it only take one person! One person who says, "the killing has to stop. Let's find someone who is against the killing of animals to be the leader of our animal control system" That's it!

Thirdly actual action. I haven't got this far yet but if I have to sit outside and protest with a sign well then sign me up. I'm trying to get my foot in the door first, then find others to stand alongside me. I know those people are out there and are willing to help, but even if I have to stand alone I'll do it. We can do this. I am committed to saving lives. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment