The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Friday, July 20, 2012

BSL is just BS

I know that some of you are HUGE animal lovers and take a special interest in No Kill, but I also know there are others who are just fans of the Missaroo. This post is for both of you.

I recently read an article stating that PetsMart bans bully breeds from its doggie daycare. For those of you who don't know, bully breeds would include dogs like Rottweilers, Pitbulls, any dog deemed to be "dangerous" this decade. It use to include German Shepards. My mom's response to this was "well they must have had problems." To which my retort was "that's like saying no black people are allowed inside the store." Seriously, breed specific legislation or any other forms of breed discrimination are comparable to race discrimination. What PetsMart really needs is educated trainers and dog handlers that can do true assessments on every dog that enters doggie daycare.

As a dog mom, I totally get wanting to keep your babies safe. I would sue the pants off PetsMart if Mister was killed in a dog attack there. If Missy were seriously injured, I'd sue the pants off them. I mean you get it. BUT AGAIN, dogs should be tested on an individual basis. Two quick examples:

One of the people up in arms over PetsMart's' policy is an owner of a pitbull who's day job is therapy dog. Gremlin goes into nursing homes to help patients. She puts the Missaroo to shame with her 11,000 Facebook "likes." Gremlin should be allowed into daycare.

I intern for a fabulous place, Found Chicago. We deal with biters, special needs dogs, and aggressive dogs. The other day one of them bit me. His name is Oliver and he is an 8 pound Maltese. ((those white fluffy dogs smaller than Mister)) He got me twice actually, once on the top of my right hand, the other time on my left thumb. Oliver should not be allowed at daycare.

No two dogs are alike. Period. End of story. I am in the process of figuring out just how to boycott a company I have spent big bucks at in the past. Missy did her training there. Both dogs get groomed there and it is our go to store for all things pet related. It will be hard and we might have ween ourselves off but it is doable. I hope you will take up this challenge with me and tell PetsMart that breed discrimination along with breed specific legislation is really just a bunch of BS.

No comments:

Post a Comment