The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our Favorite Breed

The Spokane Humane Society's slogan is "Adopted is our favorite breed." I couldn't agree more. We all know the Missaroo is my pure bred mutt and Mister is her mini-me although we do know he is a Chihuahua mix. A mix of what to turn out like Miss is anyone's guess. Needless to say, I've never really been good with dogs breeds and it's because I just don't care. A good dog is a good dog.

Now, I've been debating about whether to blog about this right here on the dog blog or the other blog. There is always a little bit of a cross over because my dogs are my life, but I decided to write right here because the Missaroo is all about helping dogs not as lucky as she is.... so what's this about? 

I really wanted to give a shout out to the wonderful people at the Spokane Humane Society. I love walking dogs every week ((if I can)) and I love the nice people who work there as well. When I volunteered at SpokAnimal I also loved the dogs, but walking around for 30 minutes in a parking lot drove me nuts! And the staff there acted like the volunteers were in the way, not there to help. At the humane society, everyone seems to be on the same page, we are there because people kinda suck, animals don't.

Friday when I went I was really mad at people, specifically the owners' of these amazing dogs who gave them up for, in my opinion, crap reasons. One of my new found favs there is Roxy. I played fetch with Rox for 20 minutes after walking her. She is the best dog to play fetch with of all time. She dropped the ball right in front of me every time. My job was easy, I just sat there and threw it. At the end of our time together, Rox didn't want to give the ball back so I did have to take it out of her mouth when she wouldn't give it up willingly. When I brought her back and looked at her intake form it said "aggressive toward people." Um, no she is not.  She is awesome, sweet, calm, and a wonderful fetch player. Not aggressive. The dog next to her's form said "aggressive toward animals." Again, no way. That dog was the only dog that didn't bark at anyone or anything at the shelter. Not the other dogs or cats. People suck, these animals do not.

The reason I'm going on this rant is to tell you this: I watch people walk by kennels passing up dogs after looking at their forms alone. Don't do this. Take the dog out, ask the volunteers at the shelter or the staff about the dog's real behavior. Experience for yourself. I can only imagine how many shelters the Missaroo would have gone through if someone else had adopted her. Want to talk about aggressive toward other animals? Uh, Miss is. And yet, she's still my best bud and the source of great entertainment. Shelter dogs are the best dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment