The Missaroo

The Missaroo
Ready to Take on the World

Friday, October 21, 2011

Imagine It, Achieve It

I just wrapped up day one at the No More Homeless Pets Conference put on by Best Friends Humane Society. I can't even describe in words what a thrill it has been for me! I met some really amazing people who are out there doing what all I seem to do is write about: saving lives. Today I had breakfast with a woman who saved 34 pit bulls in one year with the help of two friends in New York City! Three people saved 34 pit bulls  Amazing! I met another couple of women who started their very own cat sanctuary in Hawaii! Wow! All I do is post links, tweet, and blog. It's really time for me to step up my game.

I don't want anyone to think I'm walking away from day one feeling down though. I FEEL GREAT. Like LOVE times a gagillion right now. This place is nothing short of inspiring. We CAN do it, No more homeless pets IS possible. Today I learned it's already being done in Calgary. A city of 1.1 million people is practically no kill. Today I also learned how they are doing it. Wonderful research for my Master's thesis. I also learned how to help people WANT to give to your cause, also very important in the fight to save lives. Then, I got to sit in on a session I knew a little ((very little, but still)) something about: Marketing! The last session for me ended with what felt like a personal counseling session with how to deal with the stress of it all, even if right now I am only a dogmom out to save the world from my laptop.

By the end, there were a few tears in my eyes ((how on earth did I think I was going to get through a pet conference without crying)) and I missed and loved my own two crazy pups even more. Who knew that was even possible? Lucky for them, the next stop included checking out the 80 vendors in the Exhibit Hall. Vendors + Exhibit Hall = a whole lotta free stuff for Missy and Mister. They will be thrilled when I get home and it won't have anything to do with seeing me.

All in all, best first day of a conference ever. This is what I want to do and where I want to be. It has renewed my call to one day work in animal welfare and get out from behind my laptop. Until then, enjoy the updates. And remember if you can imagine it, you can achieve it. No more homeless pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment